Friday, September 18, 2009

Don't Want to get Bamboozled

Thank goodness I didn't get my labels ordered(when I actually should have) otherwise I'd have to have 1/2 of them re-done. As it stands I really need to get more plugged into the business end of the, well...business otherwise I will miss very important things.
The latest would be the labeling change for "bamboo" material. Seems that some products that are made of and have the inherent beneficial qualities of bamboo aren't really that . The bamboo fiber has been reconstituted to a point that certain claims, (i.e. wicking, fast drying, antimicrobial) can no longer be made.
I checked with the supplier I am using and indeed while they do employ a "better" retrieval method for bamboo fiber/pulp in the knit fabric I was using, it now needs to be labeled "bamboo viscose." Personally this doesn't change my feeling about using it, the benefits of it as a raw material,(no pesticides and easily replenished) in my mind still make it a sustainable fabric.
Thankfully, the denim twill pants are able to still be labeled as "bamboo" as the bamboo is processed in a method similar to hemp or linen, where the raw material is broken down mechanically into fibers and then processed into yarn.
It's always something.....

No comments:

Post a Comment